28 November 2009

In contrast to last week, this week flew by... which is always nice. :D I can't believe that Thanksgiving has already come and gone and we're well on our way into the Christmas season.

Today, we had a nice Thanksgiving party at Krista's house, pot-luck style. Americans, Canadians, English, Irish, Australians, and Koreans all feasting together. It was delicious. We had an interesting mix of food there! It was great. Along with turkey cold cuts (it's all we could find), we had corn, scalloped potatoes, pumpkin couscous, sweet potato salsa, 불고기 (bulgogi, a Korean rice and beef dish), fruit, vegetables, and pumpkin pie. And of course, it couldn't have been a Korean Thanksgiving without 김치 (kimchi, Korean fermented cabbage they eat with every meal). And I even ate with chopsticks. How unpatriotic. :D It was a great time. I've forgotten how much fun it is to share traditions with people who don't normally practice them. For many of the people in attendance, it was their first Thanksgiving. It was a great time.

Today is also La Tabaski (the second Eid) in the Muslim world. This was the day that I arrived in Senegal last year, so I've been thinking a lot about my trip and I'm sure I will be for the next two months. I miss it so much. So, I sent out text messages to friends in Senegal... so now I have texts from three different continents in four different languages in my phone inbox. How awesome is that?! :D Makes me happy.

Happy Thanksgiving! I'll post pictures when people put them up!

No comments: