20 November 2009

Longest week ever. Seriously. But things are going pretty well with my children. I've been having a lot of fun with some of my older students lately. It's been a good time. Really.

On Thursday, I brought my guitar to school to do a few music activities. Some of the kids got really into it, and others didn't care at all, but it was nice to share that part of myself with them. I think that's the part that I don't like about this teaching gig. I feel like it's so impersonal, so I'm trying to bring myself more into the mix... because those are the teachers I always enjoyed the most -- the ones who were enjoying themselves, too!

I have a group of four 6th grade boys, and the other day, I decided I'd go out on a limb and play MASH with them. It's the future-predicting game that we played as kids. And, much to my surprise, they loved it. "Okay, what should Jerry's job be?" SLAVE! And what should his pet be? HOT DOG! And where should he live? SUBWAY STATION! There was an audible sigh of disappointment when the bell rang for them to go home. Success! And tonight, I had them write stories to practice dialogue. They got really into it and were completely occupied for an entire 40 minutes. Amazing. I'm starting to develope a relationship with these kids, and I'm actually enjoying working with them!

My efforts in trying to learn Korean have been progressing slowly. I'm improving a lot, and I can understand a lot more (which is still... quite negligible).

TGIF.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm glad you're playing MASH with 6th grade boys. it's been my dream since we moved to verona...