04 January 2012

Happy New Year!!

Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've been in this country since August and I've only posted three times. Geez. Guess I have some catching up to do!

I quit my job at the French preschool at the end of our first six weeks. It was too much to handle: a crazy coworker who made life awful, not enough pay, no contract so I'd have to leave the country every 3 months, etc etc etc... So I decided to do my TEFL certification in Paris. An interesting and intense experience: 9-12hr days, 5 days a week, not much time to explore Paris, but definitely worthwhile. Interesting people, too. Here's a group shot from our Thanksgiving party.




Then, I came home and had a week before my parents visited!!




It was wonderful to see them and to have them see my Moroccan world!




We had a nice dinner all together three nights in a row! It was nice to be in such wonderful company!




Here's the ancient market area, la médine. This is the produce area. Just down the narrow roads were a few shops that sold live chickens that would soon be taken home to be served for that night's dinner!!




We visited the 7th largest mosque in the world with the tallest minaret (210m) in Africa. Beautiful! Mom and Dad in the arches!



The mosque is also beautiful at night!




There's also a beautiful cathedral that, due to the nearly 100% Muslim population in this Islamic kingdom, is now used as a museum not too far from our place.



There is, however, a large active cathedral, Notre Dame de Lourdes. Beautiful. This is where we went for Christmas mass. Proof we were there!!



Here's the outdoor "grotto".



And the nativity scene.




And the wonderful, entirely Congolese choir.




More to come!!

No comments: