09 September 2011

I can't believe that it's been a whole month since I left Senegal! Pretty unbelievable. I spent 3 weeks at home, and now I'm living in Morocco! I'm in Fez, once a safe-haven for refugees fleeing religious persecution in the 9th century. With such a long history, Fez is an interesting combination of modernity and antiquity.

To begin with, here are a few pictures of the modern life in Fez. There are beautiful parks and public boulevards...



...cafes galore...



...and stoplights and traffic! Well, normally. During the month of Ramadan (this year, the month of August), though, the roads were empty at dusk because everyone was home breaking the fast with their families.



During the day, however, there were a few special Ramadan markets that were fun to explore.



Also, everything is in Arabic! (It's much less bilingual than I was led to believe... at least in Fez.)



But so we pass from this modernity to something a bit more ancient: the medina. According to Lonely Planet, this part of the city hasn't changed in about a millenium. Blast from the past, I'd say.



A fun one... that can be a bit overwhelming because of the sheer size of the market that refuses to end... covering about 2 square miles of land!



Welcome to Morocco! More to come!

No comments: