24 October 2010

Life has been pretty exhausting lately, but in a really good way. I still haven't been sleeping, but it's been worth it. I've had some pretty great times. And I've been having fun stealing wifi and sitting outside on the street corner on Skype... with boys who have never even seen a computer before... and now they can see the person I'm talking to! The world is pretty crazy with how unequal it is. Life has been fascinating.

On Saturday, one of my coworkers baptized his newborn baby, Baye Tounkara. What a beautiful newborn! One week old. When a baby is born here, the child goes nameless for one week and then the family baptises him/her. There is a huge amount of ritual that goes into all of it.

Some people go early in the morning to see when the family actually gives the name. There is the ceremonial eating of lakh, an oatmeal-like dish served with sweet yogurt. And in the picture, the green bowl is exactly the type of bowl that almost everyone has to eat this specific dish. Pretty funny. Oh, Senegal. What else... ummmm... Men and women are usually separated to be more "comfortable" (Islam, what can I say...). Lunch is served (we ate thiebou yapp), then juice is served, and then Senegalese tea (attaya). It was a fun time.

The other day, I didn't have any typing work to do (alhamdoulilahi), so I got to talk with my boys. It was so much fun. We were talking about polygamy... and how they want more than one wife. And how they're astonished that I absolutely refuse to share a husband. :D They're sweet.

I've met some fun people and I've gotten closer to others. Coming back, I thought everything was going to be exactly the same... and for the most part it is, but then again, a lot of my relationships have changed in good ways... They've matured to reflect the people that we've become now... so that's nice. I'm really happy to be here.

Still no news on a PO Box, but I'm working on it.

Don't be strangers! Let's keep in touch!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I finally looked at all your pictures you posted on your blog, and they are pretty sweet. Nice sunburn too, btw.
I also read your facebook message and i will get back to you!!
have a nice weekend :)