In hopes of catching up a bit with photos, this post is going to be pretty random, a collection of fun stuff I've done lately.
This past Friday night, before vacation (!!!!) started, we went out for a work dinner. It was great. Here are a few pictures of some of my coworkers.
Lydia, Alex, Sunny, and Jinny
Ava and Eddie, two of my favorites. :D
The next day I met up with JK, and we ended up going out to eat for 육회 (yook-hway), raw beef. Yep. And to add to that, you dip it into raw egg yolk. I made a joke about how I wasn't even allowed to eat much cookie dough for fear of dying from eating too much raw egg. Anyway, it somehow tasted better than I had thought it would... I wouldn't specifically order it again, but I'd eat it if it were put in front of me... Great experience. Here's a photo of it. For full effect.
And here's JK. Hahah. Lovely photo. Another one of my favorite people here.
What else. Umm, here are just some random photos of everday life in Korea.
Along with the crazy food theme, there's an entire aisle in the grocery store dedicated to 김, dried seaweed. They put this in anything and everything. I'm really not a fan. I've never thought to myself, "Gee, this sure would taste better with seaweed!" It's a staple in Korean food, though.
Dongbaek, the town I live in, is nice. It's quiet most of the time, and there are tons of children running around at all moments. My house is right around the corner.

Here are two photos of 호수공원, Lake Park, in my town. It's a city center of sorts.

And they have dancing fountains at night. It's pretty.

Leaving Dongbaek, you can take many different modes of transportation. Here's a picture of a subway station. This one happens to be above ground.
Once arriving in Seoul, there are so many different styles of life. There are the huge sky-rise, main-drag, downtown areas, like 강남 (Gangnam), described a bit like the Beverly Hills of Korea... It's great for people watching!
This is also in Gangnam, just behind the main drag. Still very Westernized, what with the local 7-11 and all.
Or else there are the older parts where there are actual houses...
What else have I been up to? Well, it was a fun World Cup year. Koreans go CRAZY. So, of course, we had to follow suit. Korea ended up losing the game, but it was a fun, outdoor fried chicken extravangza!

Also, MUDFEST. Yes. It's exactly what it sounds like. A festival of mud! So much fun.

We also visited a cave...

... which happens to be the Bathing Place of Fairies. Hahah.

I've really enjoyed getting to know more of the city, the language, the culture, and the people. More photos on the way!
No comments:
Post a Comment