So in Korea, nudity is not an issue (in the appropriate places, obviously). This, I feel, is a great thing. It seems to help them be more comfortable with their own bodies. I wish we could have something more like this in American culture. I've been experiencing this at the gym that I go to.
I'm the only foreigner there for spinning class in the morning, and I must say that it was quite a shock to the system to walk into the locker room to see everyone just stripping down to hit the showers and to get ready for the day after class. I've definitely gotten used to the routine of it, and it's actually quite convienent. But there are just some thing that I see that I feel weird about seeing... and they make for funny cross-cultural stories.
#1. I walk into the shower room, and I see this old lady (and if she looks 60, that means she's at least 75) sitting on the floor of the public shower room. Not only is she sitting on the floor, she's scrubbing her feet. Now, most people (Koreans as well) use the pumice stones or something of the sort. But this woman was using a metal dish scrubby pad. I'm pretty sure I laughed out loud.
#2. That same day, I was walking out of the shower room, and I walk past a different older woman using the hair dryer. She was just doing her thing, and then she took the (public use) hair dryer, lowered it in front of her, and pointed it directly at her ladybits. I about died. And apparently this isn't anything out of the ordinary here. Needless to say, I will think twice before using the hair dryers.
#3. It goes without saying that I'm freakin clumsy. I drop stuff, and then when I go to pick it up, I inevitably drop something else. Etc, etc, etc. The other day, I was walking back in from spinning, dropped my waterbottle, juggled it around a bit before finally catching it (what??!)... and I looked up to see if anyone saw it (because it was just that epic), and when I did, I saw this woman sitting with her naked behind on the bench where I always put my bags. weoifjalsk. Hahahahah.
Aren't some of these health and sanitation (read: sanity) concerns? Hahahah. Oh, Korea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment