Simply, I love my life here. Love it.
I had a really good week at school. Everything went by smoothly, and on Friday, I even had some extra time in some classes to play a Jeopardy game. It was pretty fun. I got a complete-sentence response from the boy I was talking about in the last post who was causing trouble... And while that may have been the only constructive thing he added to the class over the 90mn I work with him, I'll take what I can get. And that was one more constructive thing than the time before. Improving by 100% every day? Yes please! I'll continue that trend!
On Friday night after work and after dinner, I met up with some teachers at a restaurant in town, and Eddie brought some of his Korean friends. In the end, all of the foreigners but two of us bailed. It was me and Toby with Eddie and three of his Korean friends. It was a great time. They seem like really great people. We were just sitting around talking, trying to make sense of their sometimes broken English, enjoying each others' company. We then moved the party to the new fried chicken place they really wanted to try. They were so nice, and it was fun to actually interact with Koreans... even if it was in English. We have plans to meet up with them again next weekend to see the festival in Incheon. I don't really know anything about it, but apparently it lasts 80 days (which I actually verified in Korean: palship = 80.) It'll be nice to see them again. And it felt more like a real Korean experience with fewer foreigners. It felt a bit less touristy... Really nice.
(On a side note, we were talking about how there are always cameras watching us in class, and how parents can come in at any time to check in on how the classes they're paying for are going. He said that everyone thinks I'm doing a great job. When I asked who, he said, "No comment... but people are always watching and they are impressed." Made me feel like a rockstar.)
So I got home around 1h30 and then called it a night only to wake up a few short hours later (quite a few, I guess) to meet some of the other ladies at the GS to catch a bus to Itaewon for Mexican food and Thai massages. Mmmmmmm. What a perfect Saturday afternoon. Seriously. Delicious Mexican burritos. I will definitely be patronzing that site pretty often. And Thai massages were great. Fully-clothed full-body massages, 60mn, 50,000W ($40). Sweet deal. We wandered around a bit before heading back home.
I scoped out the movie theater in E-Mart, so that'll be a fun place to go sometime. Looks pretty inexpensive, too. Went shopping to pick up some more Korean food, and on my way home, I ran into Adam, Larry, and Toby. They were gonna head to the screen golf place near our schools... so I tagged along, thinking this'll be fun. The company was very enjoyable. Very much so. Great group of guys with lots of fun stories.
Golfing, on the other hand, is something I refuse to really ever do again. (Alright, that might be my sore shoulder talking, but it hurts!) Now I'm not easily embarrassed... but damn. What was I thinking? I don't like golf and I don't like video games. So why, for Chrissake, would I like virtual golfing? I've probably been to a driving range... maybe once in my life? Maybe played a (1) hole... maybe once in my life? So 9 holes with people who actually know how to golf? Ugh. Granted... it was virtual. You're in a room, driving balls into the padded corner where there are sensors and a lot of crazy cool technology that measure how far and fast you hit the ball. Depending on where you hit it on the virtual course, the floor would even tip to make it feel like you're on slanted ground. It's really cool.
But again... what the hell was I thinking? It took us 3.5 hours, entirely thanks to me and Larry who were both beginning (read: awful) golfers. Larry hit the ball a lot more than I did. I really felt like I was weedwhacking. I bet for every time I actually hit the ball, I swung at least 3 times. I've discovered new muscles in my forearms I didn't know I had. It was long and it was painful (physically and emotionally). I generally got the ball about 33 yards. And my biggest crack might've been 150? Maaaaaaaybe. Between 100 and 150. And those hits were few and far between. And they almost made up for how awful the rest of it was.
The company, though, was great. It was nice to have my own personal cheerleading squad. Larry, at one point said, "It's okay. Next time you'll get 16 yards!" It was so bad that even when he was trying to be nice, it sounded like he was joking. Haha. It was ridiculous... but overall an enjoyable experience. Next time, I'll tag along, but I'll just watch. It's fun to hang out in those rooms. Nice couches, free little candies, cookies, and tea... Nice set up and all, but golf just isn't my sport. Ugh. Embarrassing. :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
looks like you've got big brah on your side, way to go.
and lolololol at golfing. definitely was laughing about that one for awhile. just such a great visual :)
haha, fw. next time play the hypothetical game. you'll be a grand success.
I would have loved to watch you attempt virtual golf...no seriously. haha.
Post a Comment