14 January 2009

Siiiiiiiick.

2 days ago at work, I was doing my practicing my usual medicine, and then all of a sudden, I got really dizzy and almost passed out. Didn't think much of it until the next morning at 5am when I woke up and thought I was going to throw up. I spent the morning trying to get back to sleep, and then went to work (an hour late because I was so exhausted). I left work after about 45 minutes to go back to sleep. Woke up again around 13h30, went to go have lunch, smelled food, and decided it probably wasn't a good idea to eat. I slept for a few more hours, went back to my room to sleep for a few more hours, and then spent some time with friends. All in all, I was horizontal all day save 90ish minutes. [sigh]

People take really good care of me here, though. Immediately when I walk in a room, "What's wrong? You look awful." Haha. Thanks. But when I said I was sick, everyone had advice. Most people asked if I took any medication. You can't really take medication for stomach issues... because it wouldn't stay in the stomach... Some suggested I go to the hospital. When I laugh and say that it hasn't really even been 24 hours, that it will get better soon, they said, "Yes, but any time you spend sick is too long." Nungi may topato bou bakh. They're taking good care of me.

In any case, when I had gone back to my room, Bouba and Goudiaby came to visit and bring me back to the house. My room here is a /disaster/. There's also sand all over the entry. And I don't sleep with a sheet on the bottom of my bed because I only have one. And my clothes are all over, not really folded very well, etc. It's pretty much le bordel... And they were pretty amazed. Because I'm pretty well put-together in my general everyday life, but in my room... not so much.

Oh, Dad, you'll be happy to know that when they asked me if I had taken any medication, I said, "No... I just drink water... and it'll be better. Hydration!" It's a big joke now. "My head hurts." Drink water. "My leg hurts." Drink water. "I'm sad." Drink water. Haha.

In any case, it was really nice of them to come over and chat for awhile. We went back to Bouba's and chatted a bit more, and Madieye joined us. 3 of my favorite men here. It's a big inside joke among their group of friends to call people "chebou gueji", which refers to the meal of rice and smoked fish... but in this context, it means "player". So they were calling each other players, figuring out who the biggest player is, making fun of me for not taking medicine, for only drinking water, etc, etc, etc. Never a dull moment. It's also customary to accompany people wherever they're going. So, all three of them walked me back to my room.

I feel really safe here. Especially when I'm with them. They would do anything for me. Just as anyone in that family would. Anyone on the south part of the island, really. They take care of their own, and it's really comfortable.

This morning, I'm feeling better already, so I hope it sticks.

It's also been really good to see tourists here. It gives me a good idea of how far I've come, of how much Wolof I actually do speak/understand, of how well-integrated I am. It's nice. :D

It's going to be really hard to leave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i actually said that the other day to kristen. "i think i may be sick." "oh you should probably take something," she said. "nah," i replied, "i'll just drink water."