22 December 2008

Today was a pretty interesting day. Full of illegal activity. I took a few more husbands (relatively self-explanatory) and I practiced medicine without a license. Haha. Well, it wasn't really medecine per se... I went to ask Bouba if he could let me into the nurse's room to get the notebook that I'm entering into the computer (because they have a stupid system that they need me to make up for by the end of the year...), and when he let me in, he started to show me where things were. "No no... I just wanted the notebook so I can get to work." "I know," he said, "but I have a lot to do today so I can't be in here." "Right, so you want me to do it," I said jokingly. "Yes." And then he walked away. "Wait wait wait. Bouba. You want me to be in the medical room. Alone. And help the kids." "Yes, what's the problem?" "Well, I'm not qualified." "Well, I'm not either, but I do it anyway," he said with a smile. "I understand that, but at least you speak a common language..." "It's not a problem. You know what to do, so you call me if you need help." And then he left.

Haha. I'm making it seem like more than what it is... mainly for dramatic effect... but I was worried. Practicing any sort of medicine or what not without a license in America is a huge deal... and absolutely not a problem in Africa. It was even laughable that I thought it would be.

Basically, Bouba taught me how to medicate and bandage some scrapes, scabs, wounds, etc, and how to sign kids in and send them to the doctor's office if they needed to get a "real" prescription for the medicine we'd give them. So, that's where I spent the day. Any time kids came in with more than that, he was there to take care of that, but it was definitely a day full of Wolof and of craziness with some of my favorite talibés.

And then a lazy afternoon of guitar, crazy Lamine stories, and a trip to the market to buy sugar. :D Things are good here. Even if it's really cold right now (65°F).

Bisous!

No comments: