10 October 2010

On Saturday, there was a wedding reception for one of my colleague's daughters who got married last month. It was a great time. Very Senegalese.

I was told to arrive around 10am... which of course was a bit ridiculous because it was going to be an afternoon/lunch sort of thing. I thought I was going to be right on time when I showed up around 13h30... a bit early for lunch (in my opinion), but I didn't want to be too late!

I had no idea where her house was but I knew the neighborhood's name. So when I got out of the taxi, I just started walking up to people and asking, "Do you know TaTa Claudine? The second group of people I asked knew exactly where she lived. "Sure, let me take you there!"

When I got there, only one of my coworkers was already there, and he was on the phone, so I went inside... and was welcomed with open arms. Literally and figuratively. I ran into Tata Clo and met a few of her sons... and I just sat and chatted with them and whoever else came in and out of the room we were in. Christians. Drinkers and smokers. Very interesting to contrast that with the devout Muslims I'm mostly close to here.

When we were finally told it was time to eat about 2 hours later, I came out of that room and walked in to the grand living room to see my entire team... they were surprised to see me, thinking I'd gotten lost and decided not to come. It was a lovely afternoon.

Today, I spoke with Mr. Barry who wants me to teach English classes at the university and help him establish a private international exchange center independent of the university entirely... so there are two more job opportunities. And I have a pretty good apartment prospect that will come through tomorrow inchallah... so we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, life here is wonderfully Senegalese. :D Looking forward to seeing my lovely kids tomorrow!