Today was another great day. After waking up and getting this whole ball rolling we caught breakfast and hopped on the ferry to check out the 4 big sites to see in Bangkok. We headed first to the Grand Palace. B350. Nearly $12. Too expensive. It was beautiful, but it was bit intense for my liking... and it was all actually for a real man... not for some sort of spiritual gathering place.
We saw the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.
That was pretty interesting just because it’s such a highly venerated Buddha image. People come from all over Thailand to see the 3-foot jade image.
We stopped for some street food before continuing to Wat Pho. This place was amazing. Home to the largest reclining Buddha in the country, this temple was massive, with many different chedi and smaller temples within it. Beautiful.
We took the small ferry across the river to Wat Arun, my favorite of the four. We climbed up to the top level which was quite a treacherous (really steep, uneven steps), especially for wearing a skirt!
The view from the top was beautiful, though.
The temples are so big with nothing around them to really give them any scale, so it was cool to see all of them in their HUGE glory.
In other less exciting news, I got the best massage of my entire life. Holy crap. Incredible. 30 minutes of pure heaven.
And then I went to a Muay Thai boxing match. Really interesting. It was expensive (B1000 = $33), but it was totally worth it! Very cool to see. And it just makes me think about who these boys are... because the bouts that I saw were all kids. The highest weight class was 142lbs. Young kids who were more ripped than anyone I’ve ever seen! It’s such a hypermasculine sport that is laced spiritually and traditional Thai dance and music before each round... that never seemed to be hypermasculine equivalents to the BAMF boxing... And I hopped on the back of a motorcycle back. Awesome. :D I never want to leave Thailand!
No comments:
Post a Comment