Wow, it's been an eventful few days since I've last updated. I've learned so much... and I feel like my time here has actually started even though I've been here for over 2 months now.
Thursday evening, I went to hang out with the girls and some friends in Village J: Etienne, Jean, Nando, Aimé, and Jonas. These are some of my favorite people in the world.
(I'm sitting outside in front of the building where I can get wireless and I thought someone was going to come up to scare me... turns out it was just a /huge/ bull. Yep, horns and everything... They just roam around the campus. Along with the horses, goats, and talibés.)
It just really felt like college. Which is nice as nothing here really feels anything like home... good, bad, or otherwise.
On Friday, I spent the day at my internship and it was really nice. There were just a couple boys there at the very beginning. 7-year-old Moussa was drawing in the table with one of my pens. And then I took the pen and drew a smiley face on my hand. He followed suit. Soon, there were about 4 boys under the age of 10 drawing all over my arms. By the end of the day, I was covered in portraits of myself (haha) and Arabic phrases from the Koran. We had a pretty good time. And then some of the boys were bugging me about not getting any breakfast (which we don't give out) and that that's the only reason they ever come. (Yeah, that's a pretty lame story, but it was pretty funny... mostly because I was able to have the whole conversation in Wolof. YES! Waaw, dama muus!)
So, this whole "make yourself at home" thing that I'd mentioned was made more apparent on Friday when I was going to have lunch with Bouba again. He, though, being Muslim, went to the mosque to pray. I was just going to wait for him, assuming that that would be normal, and he asked me why I was waiting. Well, you're going to pray. "Yes, but you're part of the family now. Just go. I'll be there in a bit." So, that's just what I did. I thought it was going to be all kinds of awkward, but turns out it was totally fine. I walked in and greeted everyone. "Stephanie! So nice to see you!" His younger brother (25), Lamine, thinks that I have a striking resemblance to Alicia Keys (???), so that's what he calls me. It's nice to have another Sénégalese family to be with. And they really do treat me like part of the family. We did a bit more work after lunch and attaaya, and then I went back home to see a movie.
On Saturday, I went into town (again) to hit up a Sabar. This is a school fundraiser organised by a group of girls from the school. It's a dance party basically. Only women can go. I'm trying to find a video clip of it on YouTube, but I can't actually view the videos because I can't download the player for it. Here's one that I think looks about right. From the opening picture... It was a pretty cool time.
Saturday night and Sunday were the days that I spent with my host family. I love them so much. We always have a good time.
And today, I went into work. Hung out with the gang for awhile, and then the director called me in and in a very serious voice said, "You'll be spending the night here." Sorry? What? "We have to get this report typed up." Turns out their financers from Spain are on their way and will be seeing this report they hadn't started tomorrow. They were freaking out... and I was the only one who could save them. Haha. They gave me a stack of papers to type up. 14 one-page reports. To make it pretty and everything, it took me about 2 hours. Had they done it themselves, it would've taken all night. One of the other directors also asked Bouba to switch his cell phone language to French because he couldn't figure out how to do it... Bouba immediately handed it to me. The director came back to see if Bouba could set the correct time. Bouba wanted to do it himself, but after a good 10 minutes of trying to do it himself, I took the phone and got it done in 30 seconds. Haha. And he's the one who still thinks it's funny to say that I don't understand anything and can't do anything right. Which isn't exactly funny, but it's not as painful as it was in the beginning.
All in all, I love my internship. I love the people I get to work with. I love the people I get to meet through it. I love the opportunities I'll have because of it. Tonight, I have my globalisation class and then tomorrow, I'll head back into town for work, then to the host fam's house? We'll see. Keep in touch, y'all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Okay so I admit that I only skimmed this one but I laughed when I saw the part about the Alicia Keys resemblance. ahahah :)
Post a Comment