07 April 2008

Getting back from vacation, which I promise to finish sometime, I just needed time to rest. And then Saturday night, I went to hang out with Campal and Georges. And we ended up going out to a Jolla party. The Jolla are a large ethnic group in Senegal... and they were having a party. It was a "by invitation only" party. Score. We headed out around 1am. (This was all possible because of the amazingly lazy day I'd had.) I was definitely the only toubab in the room. Everyone was dancing to both Senegalese and American music in turn. I went with Georges, Campal, Jonas, and some of their friends Aimé, Etienne, Paul. Yes, they're all Christian... and yes, they were all drinking quite a bit. They call beer "lion's tears". Haha. I, on the other hand, am still not feeling 100% so I stuck to Fanta.

They were playing a great mix of music, so I was able to show off my mad skills for the American music, and I got to see all of their Senegalese dance skills. I was partying with some mad dancers! Man! I was so impressed. They taught me to dance Cabo and Mbalax... and everyone said that I was one of the best toubab dancers they'd ever seen. I think that's a complement?? People started clearing out around 5, and then at the very end, when the lights were turned back on, there were only about 20 people left. They played a traditional Jolla dance piece. There was lots of clapping, shouting, twirling around. What an experience. I rolled into bed around 6am. What a night, what a night.

No comments: