27 March 2008

So, now I'm in Dakar at an internet café that kinda works sometimes, and it's been a crazy adventure already. At midnight the other day, we decided that we were going to leave at 6 in the morning to catch the bus, but in fact, there were 40 other people waiting for the bus... that had 3 places left. So, we took a taxi and then headed out to the gare routière to catch a mini-bus. There were 14 of us in a tiny bus for 5 hours to get to Dakar. Then we somehow let ourselves get cheated out of money by 2 "guides" which I can't believe we fell for. We're usually better than that. Melissa and I got tickets to get to Ziguinchor by boat, and everything should be in order. We grabbed lunch in Médina, a neighborhood in Dakar and were invited in for attaaya with 2 university students. It was fun to talk to them. We ended up staying at D'Almeida's house, the same house I was in on the first day. Which is nice... and comforting because we already know it and the area a bit. We were sitting and chatting in the room, and then Campal walks by, not knowing we were going to be there. We chatted with him and went out to dinner, called it a night around 23h30.

There are so many men in the area that think propose to us everywhere we go. Taxi men, waiters, internet café owners, random street cleaners, etc. And the funniest one was yesterday when we were walking around.
Random guys on street: Je cherche une femme française. (I'm looking for a French wife.)
Me: Désolée, on est américaines. (Sorry, we're Americans.)

Good times, good times. It's so amazing to be able to meet people here and feel totally comfortable as if we're almost part of the family. Things are great here. I'll probably be out of commission for awhile with the trip and all, but never hesitate to call if you need anything. Skype is $.26/min. Not bad.

No comments: